I wanted to share this awesome mix of oldies that I just digitized. The mix comes from a reel of tape that came with my first working reel to reel, a TEAC 4010. Sadly I no longer have the TEAC, I gave it to a friend years ago as a gift.
The TEAC 4010 came with about two dozen reels. The previous owner, believed to be Tom Celona (see playlist photos) had dubbed his record collection onto these tapes sometime in the 1970s.
Based on the track listing (newest song is from 1965) and that it was recorded on acetate tape stock, I’m guessing this tape to have been made between 1965-1970.
This particular reel, labeled “12” (subModern archive #07.PR.012) is unique in that it is a collection of singles taped from 45s, making it a very early example of a mix tape. At the end of the recording the creator of the tape recorded a message explaining that he made the mix from his personal 45 collection (one William Deignan Ridge street in East Providence, RI). Enjoy!
Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to any of the recordings contained on this reel, it is presented here as a historic artifact and is not intended for commercial use.
- Conway Twitty – Lonely Boy
- Conway Twitty – It’s Only Make Believe
- Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels – Devil With the Blue Dress
- Fireflies – You Were Mine
- The Human Being – Nobody But Me
- The Duprees – Why Don’t You Believe Me?
- The Classics – Till Then
- Barry and the Tamarlines – I Wonder What She’s Doing
- Freddy Cannon – Palisades Park
- 10. Chubby Checker – The Twist
- Nat King Cole – That Sunday, That Summer
- The Beatles – She Loves You
- Roy Orbison – Only the Lonely
- Roy Orbison – Blue Angel
- Conway Twitty – Halfway to Heaven
- Frank Ifield – I Remember You
- Roy Orbison – Crying
- Orlons – Don’t Hang Up
- Ricky Nelson – Sweater Than You
- Tommy Edwards – Please Love Me Forever
- Tommy Edwards – It’s All in the Game
- The Kinks – You Really Got Me
- The Coasters – Poison Ivy
- Frankie Avalon – I’ll Wait for You
- The Everly Brothers – Cryin’ in the Rain
- The Beatles – I Saw Her Standing There
- The Beatles – I Want to Hold Your Hand
- The Beach Boys – Help Me Rhonda
- The Everly Brothers – Bird Dog
- The Kinks – Tired of Waiting for You
- Johnny Burnett – You’re Sixteen
- Brenda Lee – I’m Sorry
- Brenda Lee – That’s All You Gotta Do
- Roy Orbison – Candy Man
- Roy Orbison – Here Comes that Song Again
- The Beatles – Please Mr. Postman